The music listening experience is often about sharing, but with the onslaught of portable media, it’s getting harder to find a way to share your tunes at a party without the hassle of docks and cords. Bluetooth audio, up until recently, has been pretty horrible – music often sounds compressed, tinny and weak. With the Braven 650 Bluetooth Speaker, that’s all going to change.
The Braven 650, out of the box (and man, what a difficult box that is to open!), is a sexy piece of kit. Its “aircraft-grade” aluminum body feels solid; not like some shoddy hunk of junk plastic. There’s even heft to the speaker; even if it’s small, it feels solid. The speaker faces are kept simple with the buttons and switches kept small along the side panels – so as not to break up the brilliant aesthetic.
Since this is a Bluetooth device, there’s always the concern about how easy/difficult it is to pair with your device. The Braven 650‘s Bluetooth pairing is pretty simple stuff, and with plenty of audio feedback, you know you’ve gotten the job done immediately.
As far as sound goes, the 650‘s sound quality is very good. It’s the kind of speaker you can easily find yourself listening to for hours without end, or even using at a small party. Music comes through cleanly, with no signal loss, and good bass response.
For the techies out there, here are some of the important details -
- Micro USB port for easy charging
- 3.5mm input port for using the speaker through a headphone/aux cable
- Full-sized USB port for charging your phone (yes, this can act as an external battery/charger)
- Approximately 20 hours of playback time when used as a speaker (this will drop, obviously, if you’re also using it to charge your phones/devices at the same time)
- 6.25” wide x 2.5” high x 1.75” (easy enough to fit into a bag to take everywhere)
- 3.5mm input jack for chaining multiple speakers together
- 33ft range (signal cuts immediately if your device reaches past that distance)
The Braven 650 is an outstanding audio accessory that, if you’re tired of being tied-down to one location in your house to enjoy music, is worth checking out. It’s great to keep in your bag to take to work, bring out to the backyard or listen to and use as a speakerphone in the car. It’s the kind of speaker you can listen to all day, every day.
Final Score: 4.5/5