As Xbox Beta codes for Skyrim’s Dawnguard DLC have gone out to members, the first lot of details surrounding the game have arrived.
Focusing around a vampire lord by the name of Harkon, Dawnguard’s story sees you trying to prevent him from using an Elder Scroll to blot out the sun.
Whilst the DLC adds a new story to the game, it also brings in conversations of vampire hunters to the game – thus giving you the choice to either join sides with Harkon or the vampire hunters themselves.
Joining the vampires means you can become a flying vampire lord, giving you powers like Vampiric Grip allowing you to suspend enemies whilst draining their health. You can also turn yourself into a cloud of bats – although it is unknown what benefit this possesses. However just like being a werewolf being caught as a vampire will get you attacked on sight, so you’ll have to keep changing forms.
If you join up with the Dawnguard though you’ll snap up some weapons, including the new crossbow. Unlike the bow they are always ready to fire and can stagger targets, but conversely they take longer to reload. It also seems that you can hire armoured trolls as followers, giving you some clout in battle.
Finally a new shout is around for you to find and utilise, after all you’re still a Dragonborn. Soul Tear allows you to steal a soul and raise the victim as an undead companion to assist you on your journey, meaning you’ve never got a reason to be alone.
If that wasn’t enough, you’ve also got Vampire and Wolf tech trees to upgrade and unlock. Take a look at the two (courtesy of CVG) below.
- Power of the Grave – 50 point bonus to health, magicka and stamina as a Vampire Lord.
- Detect All Creatures – Requirement: Power of the Grave
- Mist Form – Turn yourself into an invulnerable cloud of mist while regenerating your health, magicka, and stamina. Requirement: Detect All Creatures
- Supernatural Reflexes -You move quicker, while enemies move slower. Requirement: Mist Form
- Blood Healing – Killing a person with a power attack bite restores all your health. Requirement: Power of the Grave
- Unearthly Will – Night powers and Blood Magic cost 33% less. Requirement: Power of the Grave
- Poison Talons – Melee attacks deal 20 points of poison damage. Requirement: Unearthly Will/Blood Healing
- Night Cloak – A shroud of bats feed on enemies within melee range. Requirement: Poison Talons
- Vampiric Grip – Blood Magic: Can pull a creature to you from a distance, and do choking damage once it’s close. Requirement: Power of the Grave
- Summon Gargoyle – Summons a Gargoyle. Requirement: Vampiric Grip
- Corpse Curse – Paralyze your foes with this magical blast. Requirement: Summon Gargoyle
- Bestial Strength – Do 25% more damage as a werewolf.
- Totem of Ice Brothers
- Totem of the Predator
- Totem of Terror – Werewolf Howl of Terror affects even higher level creatures.
- Totem of the Moon – Summon an ally werewolf with a howl.
- Animal Vigor – 100 point bonus to health and stamina in beast form.
- Gorging – Feeding heals twice as much health.